I recently attended a two-day workshop in Orlando with Ed Slott, America’s IRA Expert™.
Ed Slott, a New York CPA whom you may have seen on TV during annual PBS pledge drives, has made it his mission to educate advisors, CPAs, attorneys and consumers about IRA planning.
I’ve been a financial advisor since 2001 and a Certified Financial Planner™ since 2007. I’ve helped hundreds of clients with their retirement planning. Within the first hour of the first day, I learned things about IRAs and employer-sponsored retirement accounts that few advisors and even fewer clients understand. Among the topics we covered:
- How to evaluate the custodial documents for an employer-sponsored retirement plan for beneficiary landmines
- The importance of naming contingent beneficiaries for all retirement accounts
- Roth IRA conversion, recharacterization and reconversion strategies
- The latest IRA tax law changes, new tax strategies, rulings, court cases and planning opportunities
- Rollover distribution mistakes
- How to split an IRA in a divorce
- Use of life insurance strategies to protect IRA values
- Wills vs. beneficiary forms – it’s a big deal!
- Coordination of estate planning and IRA distribution planning
- Naming trusts as IRA beneficiaries – when you should and when you shouldn’t
- Net Unrealized Appreciation (NUA) rules and strategies for employer stock
- 72(t) rules for early IRA and plan distributions
Folks, this stuff is complicated. After two days with Ed Slott and his team, I realized that they had only scratched the surface. I have since joined Ed Slott’s Elite IRA Advisor Group™. As such, I’ve committed myself to at least two more two-day workshops this year. In addition, I’ll have to pass two exams per year to ensure that I really understand IRA rules and the strategies to best help clients.
I’m excited to share these strategies with clients and friends. Please call me at 541-633-7728 with your IRA questions!
Securities offered through LPL Financial, Member FINRA/SIPC. Investment advice offered through Sherpa Wealth Strategies, LLC, a Registered Investment Advisor and separate entity from LPL Financial. The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual.